In my ongoing quest to live a healthier lifestyle, I try to avoid overly-processed and high-sugar foods. Luckily for me, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but I do love hazelnut spread. I was shocked to discover that the “branded” spreads contain only 13% hazelnuts and a whopping 56% sugar. This homemade version contains 82% hazelnuts and just 12% sugar. I would still consider this a sweet treat, so I wouldn’t be eating it wholesale. However, as sweet treats go, it’s pretty low in sugar and pretty dense in nutrients. You could reduce the sugar if you liked, but I find it needs this much sugar to counteract the bitterness of the nuts and dark chocolate.
This recipe is super-quick and easy. I hope you enjoy it!
NOTE ON INGREDIENTS
I buy my hazelnuts already roasted and skinned from Lidl. They are the same price as raw nuts in other stores. However, if you can’t find roasted and skinned nuts, then roast raw hazelnuts at 180 C (350 F) until the skins darken and crack – about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the nuts on a clean, dry tea towel. Rub the nuts with the towel to remove the skins.
- 600 g (1 lb 5 oz) roasted and skinned hazelnuts
- 90 g (3 oz) icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 40 g (1.5 oz) of cocoa powder
- Add the hazelnuts to a food mixer.
- Blend the nuts on full power until smooth. Scrape down any crumbs from the sides with a spatula and blend again for a few seconds. (Note that in my blender, it takes about 3 minutes for the nuts to be completely smooth and runny.)
- Add the sugar and cocoa powers, then blend again for about 20 seconds.
- And voilà – a 700 g (1lb 9oz) jar of delicious Nutella!
- Per 15 g Serving: 12 g hazelnuts; Less than 2 g sugar.